Where can I study GIS?

11-27-2023 11:38 AM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
6 4 3,046

We on the Esri education team frequently receive questions on the topic of "Where can I take GIS courses in colleges and universities?"  This essay describes selected maps and listings from which GIS programs can be searched and investigated.  These maps and listings may be helpful for students seeking certificates, courses, and degree programs, as well as faculty seeking employment. 

1.  The AAG Guide to Geography Programs.   For many years, the AAG Guide was a longstanding, well-researched comprehensive printed book.  Its current delivery mechanism is online, in a map-driven, interactive, filterable, and easy-to-use format.   The Guide features programs beyond the USA, throughout North America and South America.  While it is true that some GIS programs are housed outside of geography departments, the AAG Guide includes many of those GIS programs, as well. 

JosephKerski_0-1701113609735.png

2.  GISDegree.org.  Aspiring GIS students and current professionals can use GISDegree.org to browse all GIS degree programs offered at US colleges and universities. Their GIS program directory includes 400 colleges and universities with 1,000 degree programs in GIS, geospatial science, and related subjects. Visitors can browse programs by location (e.g., GIS programs in California), delivery (online versus on-campus), and level (bachelor's, master's, etc.), as well as GIS school rankings. The website also provides comprehensive degree guides written by GIS graduates with first-hand experience in GIS degree programs. Students can also use the website to learn about GIS professional certifications, conferences and clubs, and more.  I've spoken with the creators of this site and they have done a noble job in making this very user friendly, up-to-date, and informative. 

JosephKerski_2-1701113715452.png

3.  GeoTech Center's National Program Locator.   The GeoTech Center's national program locator is map-based:  You can can pan and zoom and search for an institution.  If any information about an institution needs updating or your own  institution is not showing on the map, a form is located below the map that provides a direct update to the GeoTech Center staff maintaining the map and listing.

JosephKerski_1-1701113682020.png

The listings are valuable, but I encourage you to do a deeper dive--talk with the departments' staff and faculty, alums, friends, colleagues, and read other career advice elsewhere on this Esri education community blog and in the YPN community space when choosing a program.   For programs outside the USA and outside the Americas, examine the resources from the International Geographical Union, the International Cartographic Association, and the European Association of Geographers.  Also investigate the AGILE and the Chinese Professionals in GIS sites on www.agile-online.org and www.cpgis.org, respectively.

I hope this essay is helpful and I look forward to your comments.

--Joseph Kerski

4 Comments
TaiwoOlatunbosun
New Contributor III

Thanks for this Dr.

SusanSmith3
New Contributor

You as always are the best!

ajzades
New Contributor II

For someone interested in Graduate programs- this was an incredibly helpful resource! Thank you for posting this. 

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Thank you so much!  Glad this was helpful! --Joseph Kerski

About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.