Asset Management Software - GIS Integration Solution

a month ago
Ethan_Ehrisman-ITC
New Contributor

Hi All,

Our organization is currently exploring the possibility of moving to a more modern asset management system. What does everyone suggest for software and what does the GIS integration part look like? How does data move throughout the systems? Pros and cons of different options?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

5 Replies
RamiAlyGad
New Contributor II

Hi Ethan,

I can not provide a comparison because we have always used the same system. I can tell you that we use IBM Maximo for our enterprise asset and work management tool. GIS is our new source of truth for assets and locations. We have just implemented a GIS to Maximo daily sync using GeoNexus' GeoWorx tool for that integration. All data that is mapped in GIS starts there first and then syncs to Maximo without need for duplicate entry. GeoWorx definitely makes integration a lot easier to configure and maintain.

Ethan_Ehrisman-ITC
New Contributor

Perfect! This is exactly the information I am looking for. Thank you!

BillMeehan
Esri Contributor

Thanks for answering!

BillMeehan
Esri Contributor

Hi Ethan, thanks for engaging - this is exactly what the group is about. And you got an answer from a peer. 

Patrick_Gans_LES
New Contributor

We were in a similar situation, our asset management system is SAP. We look at it like this, our system of record for asset management is SAP, our geospatial and connectivity system of record is Esri. We have data synchronization running which models the connectivity through what SAP calls Functional Locations.

Take something like inspections. We use Field Maps for data collection. We then take any findings in those fields maps and create Notifications (we have an automated process for this) in SAP with those findings. It allows us to track data over time on specfic assets, and it's also the system of record for actually doing the work. We do something similar for streetlight outages submitted by the public from our website.

Another good example of this is we are now able to create Notifications directly in our Enterprise Portal. Users can click on a feature, say 'create notification' and in the background it's making a call to SAP to create the notification in the system. Way better than a user having to go into SAP, try to find the equipment number, and doing it there.

It took a lot of time and projects to get us there, but I feel like we are now taking advantage of the best of both the Esri and SAP toolkits. Happy to explain more if needed.