Harvesting from databases to geoportal for custom metadata

09-18-2022 09:48 PM
ArunPremachandran
New Contributor II

We have geoportal (version 2.6.5) and harvester (version 2.6.5) running in apache server. For the project purpose we have customized the Inspire metadata in geoportal to match the requirement. Currently our requirement is we need to get the metadata from different databases to be updated in the geoportal as our custom created metadata (i.e, after updating the harvested metadata in geoportal when we try to update it should open our custom metadata for editing ). We are thinking to use the esri harvestor ( https://github.com/Esri/geoportal-server-harvester ) for the same purpose but don't know how to proceed with it.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Marten
by
Occasional Contributor

hi, the harvester is a app intended to run 'unattended'. Very often scheduled overnight. Perhaps I misunderstand but it appears your describing that an editor comes up during a harvesting job. That would go against the unattended approach.

It is possible in Geoportal Catalog to update harvested metadata via the editor, but that is a step that happens after harvesting is done. What this also means is that when an update of the metadata is harvested it will overwrite the edits made after a previous harvest of that metadata, since the source of the harvest is considered the authoritative source of that metadata.

Can you elaborate on the difference between the metadata as you harvest it and the metadata after it meets the requirements? Based on this difference I may have some suggestions.

0 Kudos
ArunPremachandran
New Contributor II

Hi,

Pardon, I think I confused you. What I'm trying to do is we have a custom metadata created using inpspire metadata, and we need to harvest data from other data sources into the geoportal. So if we do that how the attributes of the custom created metadata mapped to the harvested data from other sources, is there any way to do that ? if its not mapped, then suppose if we wanted to update that information we can't depend on the metadata editor in geoportal right?

0 Kudos
Marten
by
Occasional Contributor

if I understand what you mean correctly then you should check out the Evaluators in Geoportal Server. We run these during every publishing action, whether from the harvester, directly through the REST API, manual upload, or from the online editor. All metadata passes through a series of evaluators, typically one for each main metadata schema.

The linked wiki page describes where you find these and how to make modifications. Using the evaluators you can pull information from custom locations in your profile to one of the known fields AND/OR add additional fields in the metadata with the information from those custom locations. Once you have your custom fields in the index, you can then configure search facets on them as well.

0 Kudos