Can I Edit a table (no spatial data) that is registered with the geodatabase using native SQL commands?

Jump to solution
01-15-2024 08:08 AM
Labels (3)
KimGarbade
Occasional Contributor III

I have a table that contains no spatial data.  It exists in an SDE enterprise geodatabase (SQL Server).  The table contains log information generated by an FME process; data related to if a certain process ran successfully or not and why or why not.  Again, this table contains no spatial data, but it is registered with the GDB.  My question (and I should know this after 100 years) is can I use straight up SQL Server SQL commands to update the table (using SQL Executor in FME) or do I have to use a Writer that points specifically to an "Esri geodatabase (SDE)" format. 

Basically my question is can I edit a non-spatial table that is registered with the geodatabase using native SQL commands and cut an Esri client out of the picture?  The native SQL just seems much faster without the overhead.

At different times I've heard Yes, I've heard No, I've heard Yes but you shouldn't, I've heard Yes and it didn't hurt anything.... but nothing official.

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@KimGarbade - read this document in detail.

SQL access to enterprise geodatabase data—ArcMap | Documentation (arcgis.com)

Yes, you can edit the table (no spatial data) directly via SQL,

if the table is not registered as traditional version, then you can edit the base table directly via SQL

On the other hand, if the table is registered as traditional version, then you can edit via SQL using the multi-version view and you can even edit data in the sde.default version and in any other version.

I hope this clarifies.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Unversioned?

0 Kudos
KimGarbade
Occasional Contributor III

Un... sorry.  Should have mentioned that.

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@KimGarbade - read this document in detail.

SQL access to enterprise geodatabase data—ArcMap | Documentation (arcgis.com)

Yes, you can edit the table (no spatial data) directly via SQL,

if the table is not registered as traditional version, then you can edit the base table directly via SQL

On the other hand, if the table is registered as traditional version, then you can edit via SQL using the multi-version view and you can even edit data in the sde.default version and in any other version.

I hope this clarifies.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
Bud
by
Notable Contributor
0 Kudos