Publishing a street index page for data a driven map book

Jump to solution
12-26-2014 07:47 AM
LanceJones
New Contributor II

I have been working in 10.1 and am at the point of publishing our county road map book. I need to add an index page for the various streets, buildings etc. contained in the map book. So far, I have used the Report Writer wizard to develop a basic index which contains the street name and the pages on which it appears.

My hurdle is that I can't figure out how to get a more specific index that will contain the Street Name, Page and most importantly, the grid location (i.e. A6, E3 etc.) for that street or building. Is there a way to get that specific other than visually locating the target and adding it in the page later?

Thank you in advance

Lance Jones

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BondHarper
Occasional Contributor II

Will it work to run the Spatial Join tool on your streets data with your data driven index feature class (using "one to many" option)? The output layer should include a table with all the properties of your data driven pages and your road names. Roads will appear multiple times if they intersect more than one grid. You'd have to re-run for all your features.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
BondHarper
Occasional Contributor II

Will it work to run the Spatial Join tool on your streets data with your data driven index feature class (using "one to many" option)? The output layer should include a table with all the properties of your data driven pages and your road names. Roads will appear multiple times if they intersect more than one grid. You'd have to re-run for all your features.

LanceJones
New Contributor II

Thank you! I haven't tried that yet. However, it sounds like a starting

point.

0 Kudos
deleted-user-o0qo22IL6bb6
New Contributor II

Lance,

I have recently completed my County's update to our Official County Map.  We're not producing a map book but a more traditional large format map so with that being said, I didn't utilize data drive pages.

However, in my situation, I had converted the grid to a polygon, clipped street centerlines to municipalities and converted them to points, and then utilized a spatial join.  I was able to generate grid locations (A1-H12) for each muni.

0 Kudos
LuciHawkins
Occasional Contributor III

This link has the ESRI information on how to complete the task.

39710 - Create a street index for use with Data Driven Pages.

Luci

0 Kudos
LanceJones
New Contributor II

Thanks so much all! Great ideas and insight

Lance Jones

GIS Analyst

0 Kudos