Newbie question (probably very simple): using output of one process as input to another

Jump to solution
09-20-2023 06:51 AM
MappyIan
Occasional Contributor II

This is probably a really easy question but I'm just trying to get started with ModelBuilder and I'm completely stuck.

I'm trying to string two tools together to create a new file geodatabase, then use the newly created FGDB as the target geodatabase for the Create Indoors Database tool to populate it with the Indoors data model.  For some reason I can't seem to get the output of the Create File Geodatabase tool to be used as the input for the Create Indoors Database tool.  Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?  The error says that the target geodatabase (test.gdb) doesn't exist, but it will by the time the Create Indoors Database tool runs.

My model looks like this:

MappyIan_1-1695217651017.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SiqiLi
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi @MappyIan, thank you so much for reporting this case. We have reported this case to the tool owner and they are currently working on a fix. As a workaround, the Create File Geodatabase tool needs to be run first. So that the file database exists for the Create Indoors Database tool to work properly. We apologize for the  inconvenience.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@MappyIan You should provide a name of the file GDB in Create File Geodatabase tool. In Create Indoors Database tool,  and Target Geodatabase parameter, use the drop down to select the file GDB name.

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos
MappyIan

Hi @AyanPalit, thanks for the reply.

I have specified the name of the FGDB in the Create File Geodatabase tool (which is Test.gdb).

Selecting this Test.gdb in the Create Indoors Database tool is what shows the error I screen grabbed above saying:

'Error 000110 C:\Data\Projects\XXX\XXX\Test.gdb does not exist'

I know the target geodatabase (Test.gdb) doesn't exist, but it will by the time the Create Indoors Database tool runs.  I just want to use the database created from the Create File Geodatabase tool as the input to the Create Indoors Database tool.  What am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

I created the same in ArcGIS Pro 3.1 and ran it successfully. If your model matches as below, Validate and Run to test it out.

AyanPalit_0-1695223214379.png

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos
MappyIan

Thanks for the info @AyanPalit, I think I've realised what's happening.  I'm trying to use the Create Indoor Database tool, which doesn't validate and run; whereas you've used the Create Indoor Dataset tool, which does validate and run!  As noted by @SiqiLi, there seems to be a problem with the Create Indoor Database tool that prevents it from being used in this way.  Fingers crossed it'll be resolved soon.

Here's a model with both tools after it's been validated:

MappyIan_0-1695285251940.png

0 Kudos
SiqiLi
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi @MappyIan, thank you so much for reporting this case. We have reported this case to the tool owner and they are currently working on a fix. As a workaround, the Create File Geodatabase tool needs to be run first. So that the file database exists for the Create Indoors Database tool to work properly. We apologize for the  inconvenience.

MappyIan

Thanks for the info @SiqiLi, hopefully there will be a fix available soon.

0 Kudos