Rotate high amount of polygon vector data

12-15-2015 12:36 AM
AnggiKusumawardani
New Contributor III

Hi all

I have problem when I want to rotate my vector data (rotate to 14 degree from azimuth). I have polygon with the total amount around 102,000 (each polygon have size about 9 m x 15 m). I have tried to rotate all the polygon by using Rotate Tools but it seems like my laptop (i5 with 8GB RAM) cannot handle that operation.

Even today, I let the operation continue for 5 hours and not finished yet! I have tried this up to 4 times. I also have tried to use rotate manually by using mouse or by input the rotate degree (by pressing 'A' and input the degree number).

Is there any way to solve my problem?

Anggi

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Of course this begs the question... why do you need to rotate them?  It is hard to fathom that you didn't notice that they were at the wrong angle to begin with.  Perhaps rotating the north arrow isn't simple enough?  In any event, you could

• recreate them at the correct angle
  • rotate a smaller number like 10% and guage the time it takes for the rotation to complete, then repeat
  • create script that sends them in one or so at a time to rotate them
AnggiKusumawardani
New Contributor III

Hi Dan Patterson

Thank you for your answer. Yes, I need to rotate them in certain degree because at first I only can create them (by fishnet) in a straight shape (zero azimuth). I tried to search in environment menu when I was creating fishnet and found nothing related to degree rotation number.

I don't think that rotating north arrow will solve my problem because in fact the shape still in zero azimuth.

• recreate them at the correct angle : is there menu in arcmap to do this, Dan?
  • rotate a smaller number like 10% and guage the time it takes for the rotation to complete, then repeat : I will try this for my last option
  • create script that sends them in one or so at a time to rotate them : I am not really good at creating script indeed
0 Kudos
AnggiKusumawardani
New Contributor III

Finally, I can solve my problem

I used extension geowizard from ian-ko (http://www.ian-ko.com​). His tool allow us to rotate feature with custom azimuth number based on our need.

Cheers..

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

welll if you are slightly adept at handling code, you can use the example in here

Numpy Snippets # 3 ... Phish_Nyet ... creating sampling grids using numpy and arcpy

rotation is easy during initial creation

image.png

AnggiKusumawardani
New Contributor III

Hi Dan, many thanks for the information! It will be very useful for me..

0 Kudos