Is it possible to use the Local Government Maps and Apps Gallery without ArcGIS.com?

Jump to solution
10-12-2012 09:38 AM
Labels (1)
AlanToms
Occasional Contributor
Hello all,

I want to use the Local Government Maps and Apps Gallery, but reading through the documentation it seems that the app requires content being on ArcGIS.com to function. 

• Is there a way to get this to work strictly with internal data sources? 

• Does anyone have a suggestion for a similar product that displays a map gallery?

Thank you
Alan
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor
Just want to add a bit of clarity.  Other parts of the ArcGIS for Local Government solution do not require ArcGIS Online, but in this case, the Maps and Apps Gallery does require ArcGIS Online.  The Gallery leverages an ArcGIS Online Group to catalog the items and store comments submitted by users.  Please refer to the help document for more information.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III
Yes, you can use the Local Government maps & apps on your own server. Just download the LGM schema and import your data into that, then you can use the maps & apps locally. Obviously, ESRI would like you to use ArcGIS Online, but it's not required. A good intro, where this question is covered, can be found here. There are basically three deployment scenarios: 1) use LGM with ArcGIS online (saves you server management tasks), 2) use locally, both editing (desktop and/or web) and host web maps, and 3) take the maps & apps and modify the parts you want for your own needs (if you don't want to replace existing systems). ESRI provides support for 1 and 2, but not 3.

The hardest part, in my experience, is importing existing data into the LGM. For parcel data, getting data ready can be a tedious task, but only has to be done once. Other data may be easier. The Resource Center has lots of info, videos, examples, etc. Sorry if I sound like an ESRI sales rep, this stuff has just been drilled into me in several workshops and webinars :rolleyes:
0 Kudos
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor
Just want to add a bit of clarity.  Other parts of the ArcGIS for Local Government solution do not require ArcGIS Online, but in this case, the Maps and Apps Gallery does require ArcGIS Online.  The Gallery leverages an ArcGIS Online Group to catalog the items and store comments submitted by users.  Please refer to the help document for more information.
0 Kudos
AlanToms
Occasional Contributor
Other parts of the ArcGIS for Local Government solution do not require ArcGIS Online, but in this case, the Maps and Apps Gallery does require ArcGIS Online.

Darn, that is what I was afraid of.

Scott, does the LocalGovTeam plan to have a release of Maps and Apps Gallery that doesn't require ArcGIS Online?  If not, please consider it.

Thakn you
Alan
0 Kudos
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III

I thought everything could be deployed locally. Maybe I'm not sure what you or Alan are referring to, but I'd swear all the various events I've attended or info I've read stated that.
0 Kudos
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor
Sorry, we don't have any plans to do that.  ArcGIS Online is a great platform for cataloging your maps and apps and a simple way to share them in a gallery application like this. And we want to leverage that functionality going forward.

Darn, that is what I was afraid of.

Scott, does the LocalGovTeam plan to have a release of Maps and Apps Gallery that doesn't require ArcGIS Online?  If not, please consider it.

Thakn you
Alan
0 Kudos
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor
In this case, we're talking about the map and app gallery application specifically.  It uses an ArcGIS Online group to catalog the content and present it in a gallery.  The actually applications can be deployed locally using ArcGIS Server and Desktop on premise.  But if you want to use the gallery application, you'll catalog those on premise apps in an ArcGIS Online group (via URL) and then share them with the Map and App Gallery.  You can find more information about this workflow in the Online Help system.

I thought everything could be deployed locally. Maybe I'm not sure what you or Alan are referring to, but I'd swear all the various events I've attended or info I've read stated that.
0 Kudos
AdamCottrell
Occasional Contributor II
Scott, I'm stuck.  Right now, we have AG Server Basic with the plans to move to standard to implement Web services both internally and externally.  Is ArcGIS Online another solution for web services? How would I use it with the AG Server Basic license?
0 Kudos
michelzion
New Contributor
yes it is possible

dainik bhasker
0 Kudos
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III
In this case, we're talking about the map and app gallery application specifically.  It uses an ArcGIS Online group to catalog the content and present it in a gallery.  The actually applications can be deployed locally using ArcGIS Server and Desktop on premise.  But if you want to use the gallery application, you'll catalog those on premise apps in an ArcGIS Online group (via URL) and then share them with the Map and App Gallery.  You can find more information about this workflow in the Online Help system.

Ah, thanks, didn't realize there was a separate app to display maps gallery style. I was thinking maps in the Gallery on the Resource Center. Was confused by the similar names. So there's a Maps & Apps Gallery app in ESRI's Maps & Apps Gallery, but that app is ArcGIS Online only, as opposed to the other maps and apps which can be hosted locally. Now if I could figure out who's on first and what's on third? 🙂  I know the Tigers will be there this week, rounding the plate for home.
0 Kudos