Parks Finder - Routing Error

08-21-2013 06:37 AM
TiffanyFalk
New Contributor III
Hi,
For certain addresses I am recieving this error: "Unable to complete operation. Location "Location 1" in "Stops" is on a non-traversable network element position. Need at least 2 valid stops. "Stops" does not contain valid input for any route."

The directions work fine for some addresses but not others. Using a custom Geocoding service, not ESRI's.

Image attached.

Any ideas?!? Thanks.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AllisonMuise
New Contributor III
Hi Tiffany,

Is this behavior consistent - ie do you always see this error with the same addresses, and never with others?

Can you route to the same park from another address?

Thanks,
Allison M
0 Kudos
TiffanyFalk
New Contributor III
Hi Allison,
Yes it is consistent with particular addresses. I can route to the park from other addresses without any trouble.
It is strange, it won't route from particular housing developments but directly across the street it routes without a problem.
Thanks for your assistance,
Tiffany
0 Kudos
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor
Tiffany -

The current portfolio of ArcGIS for Local Government apps support configurable locators (your own locator) but have not been tested with a set of locally authored routing services.  Have you tested your application with the ArcGIS Online routing service that was included in the app?  If so, are routes properly calculated?

It appears you are trying to configure the Park Finder app with your own routing service. If so, you may need to dig deeper in to the code base and change the code to accommodate such.   

Scott
0 Kudos
TiffanyFalk
New Contributor III
Hi Scott,
Just got off the phone with ESRI tech support. I was using ESRI's routing service but he said it is changing to this one: http://route.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services/World/Route/NAServer
I changed it in the code and tried again. Apparently I need a 'token'. Haven't researched how to get one yet so not sure if that will be the fix.
Thanks,
Tiff
0 Kudos
AllisonMuise
New Contributor III
Hi Tiffany,

I know you've been back in touch with Esri Support Services, I just want to make sure that others who find this thread get this information as well.

The new routing service requires a token from ArcGIS Online which the current versions of the ArcGIS for Local Government applications don't support. We are aware that the current service will be retiring soon, and are working on versions of our apps that will work with this new service. For now, though, you'll need to stick with the provided routing service (or possibly your own).

As you heard from ESS, you are seeing this routing error for some addresses because they aren't on roads known to the routing service. To get around this, you could try using your own routing service. I haven't tested this application with a custom routing service, but I don't see a reason that it wouldn't work.

-Allison
0 Kudos