Small City Woes

Jump to solution
11-30-2023 07:14 AM
Labels (1)
DerekBernard
Occasional Contributor

I'm only five weeks into a new job with a small city.  We use ArcGIS for city owned utilities, streets, parcels, addresses, parks, zoning and stuff like that.  We probably only use about 5% of the ArcGIS capabilities.  No one really knows what my role as GIS Coordinator is so I've been going around to different departments asking them what I can help with.  I've been cleaning up and adding small amounts of data, fixing some web apps that have stopped working and dabbled in some custom systems my predecessor had put together.  The problem I'm having is that I don't seem to have that much to do.  I fill my time by posting basic questions on the Community and watching video after video of different training sessions or past conference presentations.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to make my job more complete and successful for the small community I'm with?  I am a department of one with no direction.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarsonMorton
New Contributor III

I am in a similar position as a department of one here at Forty Mile Gas.

My motto is "my job is to make your job easier". I think you could chat with the other departments about how they use your maps/apps. Find out what they wish they had, and what frustrates them. Tag along with the field crew and look over the office staff's shoulder to see how they are using things.

Sometimes they will have suggestions. Sometimes you'll just see things that can be improved.

I blew everyone's minds when I made it possible for them to search for a meter by the account number. "you can DO that?"

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
CarsonMorton
New Contributor III

I am in a similar position as a department of one here at Forty Mile Gas.

My motto is "my job is to make your job easier". I think you could chat with the other departments about how they use your maps/apps. Find out what they wish they had, and what frustrates them. Tag along with the field crew and look over the office staff's shoulder to see how they are using things.

Sometimes they will have suggestions. Sometimes you'll just see things that can be improved.

I blew everyone's minds when I made it possible for them to search for a meter by the account number. "you can DO that?"

Good Luck!

DerekBernard
Occasional Contributor

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do.  I'll have to schedule some more times with folks and just learn what they do and see what I can add 🙂  Thanks

HenryP
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

I wonder if it would be a useful exercise to try and step back for a high level view of some of the governance and strategy aspects around a city's use of GIS, and what the goal might be. This exercise may highlight areas of the organisation where focus could be applied.

There was a GIS Managers event at the 2023 User Conference and there are some great resources here: https://community.esri.com/t5/gis-manager-s-group/2023-esri-gis-manager-s-summit-back-and-even/ba-p/...

Also, there is some great strategy and governance guidance from the Esri Canada team, these might really help you grow that 5%:

- https://resources.esri.ca/news-and-updates/geospatial-governance-distilled

- https://resources.esri.ca/gis-strategy/geospatial-strategy-essentials-for-managers-volume-2

- https://resources.esri.ca/gis-strategy

KarenBowman
New Contributor II
Do you guys have a snow maintenance map? You could build that with help of Road and Bridge Office. Does your Assessor's Office have their own GIS person, if not then you could help map property boundaries. Build them the Equity Property Value Hub. Help the Emergency management with road maps, public web app for evacuations and notifications during an emergency. Help Elections with some of the solutions that ESRI has to offer or just help with maps during elections. Do you guys have a layer that shows the books/pages of all county roads in your area? If not work on that. Map all road easements in your county. That is just some things I can think of. Teach other departments to use ESRI products to help them in day-to-day jobs.
GeraardsbergenGIS
New Contributor II

Create an ArcGIS HUB for your community and share as much public data as possible, your residents will thank you for it. I did this for my city Geraardsbergen, in Belgium (about 34.000 residents): https://gisbergen-gbergen.hub.arcgis.com/. It's made in Dutch but you can use the Google translate button to view my HUB in English, I'm sure there's some similar stuff you can share with your community. Use Survey123 to gather feedback, create StoryMaps with the help of your local tourist information offices, ... This is also very effective to use as an example for your colleagues and management of how you can implement GIS in your city.

Also as mentioned above, communicate with other departments, some of the ESRI tools (ArcGIS Solutions - Workforce - Survey123 - Field Maps - ...) included in your ArcGIS Online account could be very useful for them to improve their ways of collecting and sharing data. 

Good luck!