Is augmented reality missing from ver. 200?

05-31-2023 08:37 AM
JustinBegeman
New Contributor

Hello, I was starting to work on an augmented reality GIS app using the world scene in ArcGIS SDK for iOS v100. When ArgGIS SDK for Swift v200 came out I wanted to switch to using version 200 but it seems like the augmented reality was left out of version 200. Does anyone know if it will be added later or am I missing something? 

Thanks!

- Jusitn

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarkDostal
Esri Contributor

Thank you for your question! You are not missing anything, there is no AR Toolkit component in the Swift Toolkit.  However, it is on the roadmap, and we hope to have something released in the not-to-distant future.

In order to ensure whatever we build meets your (and other customer's) needs, what kind of AR functionality are you looking to incorporate into an app? Indoors or outdoors? Do you have a specific type of data in mind? Are you going to be taking data offline? How accurate do you need the GPS to be, if you're doing a "real world" experience? Any information you can provide will help us determine the best features to include.

Thank you!

Mark

JustinBegeman
New Contributor

Hi Mark, thank you so much for your answer. I work for golf course construction company in Florida. A typical job involves taking a raw piece of land such as farm fields and wooded areas, clearing the land, digging lakes for fill material and building the golf course and surrounding community (roads and houses).

The end goal for this app is something very similar to what you have in the iOS toolkit v100 samples where you can view hidden infrastructure in AR.  Only instead of underground pipes, I want to take the CAD drawings that we receive from the engineers, convert the linework to a feature layer with polylines and drape the feature layer over the base map in the "world view" ARScene.  This will allow us to see the job site plans (centerlines of roads, property boundaries, etc.) as if it were drawn on the ground in real world scale when looking through the iPad or iPhone camera.  I will have the option to use a high precision GNSS receiver, such as the Pix4D viDoc RTK rover for iPhone, but the app will also be able to use the internal gps if needed with less accuracy. I have no plans as of now to take the data offline. 

In the future I'm hoping to have an augmented reality app that will not only show the design plans in the real world before construction as begun, but also once construction is finished I want to as-built the job as well. Using the a sub-centimeter RTK GNSS and the iPhones/iPads lidar, the app will have a cross-hair in the middle of the screen showing the gps coordinates and elevation of whatever the cross-hairs are pointed at. There will be a button that when pressed records a point with the coordinates and elevation of the spot where the cross-hairs are. This will be similar to Trimble's SiteVision only instead of buildings, we will be recording drainage pipes that we install and other land and utility features "as-built". 

Thank's for your time and I'll keep an eye out for future updates. 

-Jusitn