Check to Records Imported into ArcLogistics

08-30-2011 10:08 AM
NathanJennings
New Contributor III
I have variable sets of records that I would like to import from an Oracle database that is made visible to ArcSDE.  I am currently able to do this and this would be done at least daily.  I would like to know if there is an easy way to indicate back to the database that I have imported these records (orders with the order number being an ID from the Oracle database).

Would a script be appropriate?  I am proficient with Python and ArcGIS.
Can the import of records from an Oracle database be automatically imported without using the Import wizard? and/or can this be scripted?

I would like to know if the hosted solution provides such capability out of the box, but I am not sure that our organization would gain from the cost structure of the ArcLogistics online.

I am correct, that a new ArcLogistics project cannot use Oracle as the database, right?  In AL 9.3, the database is a file geodatabase, AL 3 is a personal geodatabase, right?

Thank you,
Nate
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JeffWickstrom
Esri Contributor
Hello Nathan,

>I have variable sets of records that I would like to import from an Oracle database that is made visible to ArcSDE.  I am currently able to do this and this would be done at least daily. 

ArcLogistics won't import through ArcSDE, but can connect directly to the Oracle database.  You would just need to set up a File or System DSN and the ArcLogistics Import Wizard can use that.

>I would like to know if there is an easy way to indicate back to the database that I have imported these records (orders with the order number being an ID from the Oracle database).

The ArcLogistics Import Wizard has options to skip or update existing orders by Order Number.  So you wouldn't need to push anything back to the database as long as the Order Number is imported into ArcLogistics.

>Would a script be appropriate?  I am proficient with Python and ArcGIS.
Can the import of records from an Oracle database be automatically imported without using the Import wizard? and/or can this be scripted?

ArcLogistics desktop (or online) has a plugin API that can be used to import orders and/or export results back to the external system.  This works well for making the process less error prone than running the wizard.  Especially when you want to add custom logic and parametrize your queries.  But even with running the wizard you can save all of the field mappings as an import profile so it can be re-run with a few clicks. 

>I would like to know if the hosted solution provides such capability out of the box, but I am not sure that our organization would gain from the cost structure of the ArcLogistics online.

You can import/export data with online as well.  You just don't have the full ArcObjects API available locally.  You also can't automate solver or route editing operations.

>I am correct, that a new ArcLogistics project cannot use Oracle as the database, right?  In AL 9.3, the database is a file geodatabase, AL 3 is a personal geodatabase, right?

Correct, the projects cannot be stored in an Oracle database.  9.3/10 desktop does use a File Geodatabase, but that doesn't really matter.  You still want to go through the API to read or write data to the project.

Given what you have said so far I would probably get the DSN and standard import wizard to work first.  At least while you work out the best work flows.  After this you'll either be done or have some compelling reasons to automate things with code.

Jeff
0 Kudos