Help Out UC Newbies and Share Your UC Tips!

05-05-2017 05:39 PM
ChrisCatania
Esri Community Team

It's almost that time of year. As we get ready for the User Conference, we want to help first-time attendees prepare, so we're looking for those who have been to UC before to offer tips, advice and share other helpful knowledge to help first-timers make the most out of their experience.

So, let us know... what should first-time attendees do to prepare and have a successful UC? What should they do during and after the event to maximize learning and networking? What strategies work for you? What do you wish you did differently at your first or last UC? 

Your tips will be shared here on GeoNet in the User Conference group, as well as in other pre-UC communications going out over the next couple months. Post your tips below and thanks for sharing and spreading the word! 

See what others have previously shared each year below.

Esri Community Strategist
88 Replies
GavinRehkemper
Esri Contributor

Tip for software developers: don't miss the GeoDev Meetup (Wednesday evening)

0 Kudos
GlennLetham2
Occasional Contributor II

There really is lots to consider but most of all, prepare and plan. For important sessions and social events, add them to your mobile calendar with alerts, just in case! Some tips off the top of my head (after 18 years attending):

Developer Opportunities:

• Monday Lightning Talks are great, up by the map gallery Monday evening at 4:30)
  • Browse the Application Fair on Monday
  • DevMeetup on Wednesday is fun and geeky, be sure to register on Meetup
  • Esri Solution Fair and theater is full of great stuff if you don't know where to go
  • The Startup Zone has great talent and even some job opportunities

Bring the Family?
Kid's Camp is available, Map Gallery night is family friendly, Offsite evening socials from partners you can bring the spouse usually, Family night on the hall and get loads of swag! Thursday night party is amazing, but we all know that! Amazing things offsite for the family - Balboa Park, hit the beach PB is a zoo but plenty of fun, go to Coronado Island and the Del! Old Town San Diego is a nice treat and there's great food there

Lunch Tips:
Try to get out early (say 11:30ish) or late (after 1)
Look for lunch hour presentations and meets where lunch is provided
Watch for food trucks
Take a walk, Venture out a couple of blocks - follow 4th up to horton Plaza, there's plenty of choices.

Random Tips:
The plenary hall may fill up but you can see from any seat. You can also watch from the upstairs lounge
Want an esri T shirt? Buy it on Sunday or Monday - they go fast!
Party Tip - the Water/Wastewater gig and the YPN social are always big hits.
My must haves to bring - comfy shoes, mints, biz cards, small backpack, portable phone charger, fillable water bottle
Use the mobile agenda planner!
Bookmark this great Gaslamp Story map San Diego Gaslamp Map 2016 - Home 
Stick around for the Friday closing session if you can - its great!

Enjoy!

See you there. Please pop by our GEO Jobe booth 2438 - beside the Startup Zone (Hall A) 😉

0 Kudos
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III
  1. Light jacket easily stowed in your bag or backpack.
  2. Water bottle.
  3. Sit at the front - many presentations that have demonstrations (almost all of them) aren't easily seen from the back or middle of the room.
  4. Figure out the public transit system. $5 a day can get you a lot farther than any Uber driver. Trips are easily planned online. I have been to Coronado, Mission Beach, La Jolla and all around downtown. If you get on a bus, don't pay the fare listed at the front of the bus, tell the driver you want an all day fare and feed a fiver into the machine - that ticket is then good for all buses and trolleys.
  5. Skip the Mexican restaurants in Old Town, walk a few blocks south to El Agave. It's more expensive but you won't be pestered by mariachi bands and balloon artists and the food is much, much better - get the mole (mOH-lay).
  6. Eat at some of the places from this story map. Puesto, Crack Shack, and Cafe 222 are good.
  7. Check out a sunset.
  8. Don't be a loner on Thursday night. Make some friends earlier in the week and arrange to go to the party with them.
  9. Don't stop at the first food offering at the Thursday night party. It's usually kid's fare. There is better stuff in the other locations.
  10. Get a selfie with Jack. He wanders around the party.
Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Tell me more about the Esri GeoDev Meetup . Why is it such a hit and what should I expect from it?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Mainly developers.  In the past there have been some excellent lightning talks.  Door prizes...some based on GIS trivia questions.  Top drawing is usually free registration to next year's dev summit.  Some snacks and beverages (but typically they run out).

RexMiller
New Contributor

Attend the entire conference!  Don't waste a minute!  Try to do everything! (it's not possible, though).  Attend the Plenary.  Attend as many tech sessions as you can, 4 each day plus offerings by ESRI and vendors in the exhibit hall.

Major tip: bring your lunch with you so you don't have to waste time in crowded restaurants, instead you can eat on the patio overlooking the harbor at the convention center, then use the remaining lunch hour time to study the maps in the map gallery, seek out information you need in the Exhibit Hall or attend a lunchtime SIG meeting.

Make lists before you go of things you want to learn.  I keep a list all year round and add to it as issues arise during the course of my work.

Ride the trolley to the convention center.  Don't waste time and money trying to park your car in downtown SD.  I don't even bring my car.  I park it at LA Union Station and take the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner down, then I buy an MTS pass and use the trolley or bus to go anywhere I want.

ErinOberholser
New Contributor

Ditto to most of what people have said! 

Go to the Plenary session, it really sets the tone for the week.

Go to the Orientation session for first time UC visitors.

Study the schedule, and have options for the sessions, some are cancelled or shorter due to presenters not showing. 

Go to the store on Sunday or early in the week the gear sells out.  Same with the pin bins.

Go to sessions outside of your field.  It is amazing what relates, and it is just super cool to learn the breadth of GIS.  I work in utilities and made my coworkers go to some archelogical sessions that were interesting. 

Don't bring your laptop, be minimal with what you carry, and wear tennis  shoes and pedometer.

If you have events at the end of the day be realistic with time.  I brought a seperate outfit for evening events, and never had time to change.  So either make time to make it back to the hotel to change, or just realize you won't. 

Lastly...HAVE FUN!

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I came across this article today from LinkedIn

http://munigovguy.com/2017/06/road-to-esriuc/ 

It lists some great tips on what to do before, during, and after the UC. Check it out!

0 Kudos
DavidHendrick
New Contributor III

Whether this is your first time or you’re a returning attendee, there’s a lot to stay on top of.   That’s why we’ve created an all-in-one guide to the UC that includes all the critical information—conveniently located in one place for you. Download the brochure and get a head start on your UC planning.

We are looking forward to seeing you in San Diego!

0 Kudos
EileneNettleton
Esri Contributor

Thanks for all the wonderful posts!

Are you still confused on what to wear at the conference? Take a look at the past UC photos on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/esri/sets/72157669314345020/

I carry an extra pair of shoes and socks in my backpack.  I change them midday. It is better than a power nap. You will enjoy walking the 2 million square feet of the conference center when your feet are happy.

Also, consider bringing a few Band-Aids.  They are also available at the First Aid centers throughout the conference center.  These kiosks will have sunscreen packets too.

Light jacket for the evening/cold conference rooms. One year it rained several days on the weekend. The local stores ran out of umbrellas, so bring a small one too.

Download on your phone a QR code reader. They are used throughout the conference.

Bring a flat empty bag in your suitcase for the extra goodies you might pick up for the trip home.  Consider bringing a prepared USPS empty flat package preaddressed & stamped to mail small items home.  There is a FedEx kiosk on-site too.

Bring an empty water bottle to use at the airport and through the UC week.  There are sold at the UC Store too.

I look forward to meeting new folks throughout the conference!  Keep the suggestions coming.

See you soon ~Eilene