ArcPad & GeoXT 3000 - how do I know it's using the antenna?

Jump to solution
03-29-2012 10:51 AM
LauraBlackburn
New Contributor III
I am trying to configure my GeoXT and recently purchased a tempest antenna to hopefully improve my accuracy in dense canopy.  I am using ArcPad 10 and GPS correct.  But I have no idea how to tell if I am using the GPS receiver in the unit or if it's using the antenna?  Does anyone know just how I am supposed to set this thing up? 

Current GPS Preferences:
Protocol: GPScorrect
Port: Com3:tsip serial port
Baud: 4800

Any help is greatly appreciated.  This thing is way more complicated than my Garmin GPSMap 60!

Thanks!
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Laura,

Please review the GeoXT 3000 User Guide for instructions to connect an external antenna to your GeoXT handheld starting page 65. In addition, you will need Trimble GPS Controller to configure settings such as GPS, real-time correction, and antenna settings for use with ArcPad. Other resources: Support Notes and FAQs.

Cheers,
Denise

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JuanLuera
Occasional Contributor III
Please review the URL provided, here is some configuration and information on the device with your antenna. Thanks!

Tempest Antenna for Mapping & GIS
http://www.trimble.com/mappingGIS/Tempest_mgis.aspx
0 Kudos
LauraBlackburn
New Contributor III
I have been all over Trimble's web site trying to figure this out and I can't find anything useful.  You're link just takes me to the antenna description.  I didn't see anything about configuring it.  Could you please direct me to where the configuration information is?
0 Kudos
ToddStuber
Esri Contributor
Hi Laura,

On the GeoExplorer an external antenna, such as the Tempest, needs to be configured to use either COM1 (using the serial clip) or a bluetooth port you set up yourself.  The internal antenna will use either COM2 or COM3.  

Page 109 of the GeoExplorer 3000 Series User Guide goes over how to attach the antenna and the clip to the unit.  In ArcPad you would then choose COM1 in the GPS Preferences dialog to use the Tepmpest antenna.  If you want to go back and use the internal antenna afterwards you would switch to either COM2 or COM3 in the same preferences window.

Hope this clears some of the confusion!
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Laura,

Please review the GeoXT 3000 User Guide for instructions to connect an external antenna to your GeoXT handheld starting page 65. In addition, you will need Trimble GPS Controller to configure settings such as GPS, real-time correction, and antenna settings for use with ArcPad. Other resources: Support Notes and FAQs.

Cheers,
Denise
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Laura, in GPScorrect you should see the 'external antenna icon' when an external antenna is connected to the GeoXT 3000 receiver as described in the Trimble GPScorrect Getting Started Guide, pg68.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13245[/ATTACH]

Also you can review the GPS Receiver status in GPScorrect > Receiver section. The options are:
�?� Connected - The GPScorrect extension is connected to a GPS receiver, and the receiver is connected to a GPS antenna. The antenna icon also appears in the status bar.
�?� Not connected - No antenna is connected.

Use the Antenna Settings form in GPScorrect > Setup as described in GPScorrect Getting Started Guide, pg95.

Hope this additional information is helpful,
Denise
0 Kudos
LauraBlackburn
New Contributor III
Thank you so much Denise!  It would have been so much nicer if Trimble had included the manual when I bought the unit.  At least now I know where to go next time I have questions.  Thanks for the links to both of the user guides, that alone is a huge help!
0 Kudos