displaying cartographic representations in ArcGIS online

11-29-2012 12:05 PM
JessicaLeonard
New Contributor II
I have 5 fish distribution layers that overlap in some segments. I would like to display the data similar to a public transit lines in a web application (overlapping polylines offset from each other). I have used cartographic representations in ArcMap and the offsets display exactly how I would like them, but when I share as a service in ArcMap 10.1, they open on top of each other in ArcGIS online. Is there a way to keep them offset from each other?

Thanks!
Jessica
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Are you using a feature service or a map service? If it's a map service, I would assume that the offsets would be maintained. What is the URL to your service? Can you share it here?

Also, if you are accessing your map service as individual layers, you are effectively accessing as a feature service, which means the actual geometry of the features is returned.  This would be a url like "http://www.some.com/ArcGIS/rest/services.../MapServer/0" where the 0 indicates a layer index.

thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
HannesZiegler2
Occasional Contributor II

Hi, I am using a hosted feature Layer, how can I get representations to work in my web map?

Thanks,

Hannes

0 Kudos
nita14
by
Occasional Contributor III

HI,

The only option I know so far, is to create .tpk file in ArcMap and publish it as hosted tile layer on ArcGIS.com. If you need attributes as well, share your data as hosted feature service and set transparency accordingly

Regards,

Adam

0 Kudos
HannesZiegler2
Occasional Contributor II

Hmm, that seems like it would be too static. I wanted the symbology to update whenever a change is made to the data. The only other way I can think of is to create two separate feature classes and link them with a relationship class with shared messages, but I wanted to avoid doing that because I also don't know if it is possible in ArcGIS Online. More research!

0 Kudos
nita14
by
Occasional Contributor III

Other way is to use ArcGIS for Server Map Service with Feature Access Enabled. Add MapService and FeatureService (transparent). Edit Feature service, Map Service is for display only. There is no better way to do so, according to my knowledge. If you find something betterm please share it.

0 Kudos