What the purpose of SDE application server

12-14-2012 05:41 AM
GhassanKarwchan
New Contributor III
Hi

I am relatively new to ArcGIS server.
What is the purpos of ArcSDE application server in  10.1? and what I mean by application server is the separate install that I have to do which will install the windows service.
I can create an enterprise geodatabase, and load data to it without using the windows service.
Is there a white paper of the architecture of these components together?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Ghassan,

An ArcSDE service, also known as an ArcSDE application server or a  three-tiered architecture, conveys spatial data between GIS applications  and a geodatabase.  With an ArcSDE service, a gsrvr process is created on the SDE server for each client connection. 

A direct connection is recommended.  The direct-connect architecture moves ArcSDE functionality to the  desktop. This removes the ArcSDE load from the server and allows  additional resources to be freed up for the DBMS, which means you get  better scalability on the database server. 

Direct  connections can be faster if the server is heavily used, because  processing takes place on the client machine. Rather than having to  process the information on the server, which may be responding to  requests from numerous other users at the same time, and send the  information back to the client across the network, the client computer  is typically only processing a few tasks at a time.

One scenario where you may want to use an ArcSDE application server connection is if your desktop machine does not have  enough resources to handle the ArcSDE processes.
0 Kudos
GhassanKarwchan
New Contributor III
Thanks a lot
Now it is clear
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
See this related forum thread for a more detailed discussion:

Why would I install ArcSDE with 10.1?

Marco
0 Kudos