Resampling for Raster Tile Layers

Jump to solution
08-21-2023 02:21 PM
Labels (2)
JasonBrown
New Contributor III

Hi All,

I am attempting to upload a raster mosaic dataset from ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Online using the following process:

• Create a tile cache from a mosaic raster dataset (in this case color aerial photography) using the “Manage Tile Cache” tool in ArcGIS Pro. I choose recreate all tiles, select the ArcGIS Online tiling scheme, and set the minimum and maximum cached scales. I have been setting the minimum cached scale to 1:288895, and the maximum cached scale to 1:564 to save disk space and reduce the time taken to generate the cache. I use the boundary of the mosaic raster dataset for the area of interest, and leave the maximum source cell size value blank.
  • I then run the "Export Tile Cache" tool to export the newly created tile cache to a Tile Package (tpk) suitable for uploading to ArcGIS Online.
  • Finally, the “Share Package” tool is used upload the newly created tile package (tpk) to ArcGIS Online. Once uploaded, the tile package is published as a hosted tile layer. The visible range for the new tile layer is set all the way down to 1:71 (room) for the maximum scale. Even though cached images were not generated at this scale level, the layer should be drawn by resampling existing cached tiles. So, when I zoom down to the room level (1:71), the cached images created at the 1:564 scale should be visible, in theory. However, the image disappears and does not draw beyond the maximum cached scale.

Thoughts? What am I missing?

Thank you in advance, Jason

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ChrisTaylor2
New Contributor III

Hi Jason,

I ran into the same issue earlier this year. I opened a support case, and the successful workflow for me was:

1. Publish by right-clicking on the mosaic dataset in Pro > Sharing > Share As Web Layer, ensuring your active portal is ArcGIS Online

2. Choose the 'Cache locally' option to save credits, but in the end everything will be automatically uploaded and prepared in ArcGIS Online as part of the publishing/caching process

That's it! Resampling worked for me after that - hope the same for you.

Chris

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
ChrisTaylor2
New Contributor III

Hi Jason,

I ran into the same issue earlier this year. I opened a support case, and the successful workflow for me was:

1. Publish by right-clicking on the mosaic dataset in Pro > Sharing > Share As Web Layer, ensuring your active portal is ArcGIS Online

2. Choose the 'Cache locally' option to save credits, but in the end everything will be automatically uploaded and prepared in ArcGIS Online as part of the publishing/caching process

That's it! Resampling worked for me after that - hope the same for you.

Chris

JasonBrown
New Contributor III

Thank you for your replies DanPatterson & ChrisTaylor2. Both of these methods worked for me. Additionally, I found that exporting the tile cache as a tile package tpkx (rather than a tpk), and then running the share package tool also produced the desired result.

Jason