ArcGIS Pro Requested operation could not be completed

Jump to solution
11-06-2015 12:22 PM
JasonHarshman
Occasional Contributor

I am using ArcGIS Pro 1.1 and trying to make some symbology changes on a feature class. Specifically, I am trying to format all symbols and trying to sort the label. In each instance, I get the error banner on top of the Symbology pane saying "Requested operation could not be completed." I'm new to Pro so I have no idea what this means or where to even begin troubleshooting other than closing Pro and trying again - which doesn't work.

Thanks,

Jason

Here's the error:

Capture.PNG

Message was edited by: Jason Harshman

24 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I too am experiencing this.  It was working fine on a particular layer so I could group the symbology, now it will not respond to any changes no matter what I do.  I've tried a reboot, fresh ArcGIS Pro project, copying the layer... no matter what I do I cannot change the symbology any further for this ArcSDE layer.

Now my layout is stuck with this:

rather than one green patch.  The blue, orange and red patches are all grouped.

0 Kudos
PennyHornsby2
New Contributor II

This issue still exists in Pro 2.4.3. I am attempting to symbolize a selection (only within a specific Precinct boundary) of our subdivision feature based on two unique values from a feature in SDE. 

0 Kudos
WoodyGulledge
New Contributor

I was having similar problems (arcgis pro 2.5.0):   when trying to change the labels on a layer symbolized with graduated colors, the labels would attach to the wrong value and/or I would get the "Requested operation could not be completed" message.

I believe the problem arises if the field you are basing the symbology on has Null values.  My workaround was to switch to a Unique Values symbology and create a simple Arcade expression to handle the Null values.  Now I am able to change the labels and no longer get the message.

It is probably best if you can remove/change Null values in the data/layers instead of writing arcade expressions.  In my particular case, that is not an option as my layers are joined to a database view that is constantly refreshed with changing data sources, hence my workaround.

0 Kudos
RossCBrewer
New Contributor III

Using Pro 2.6.1 and experiencing the same issue.  I checked both fields being used for the unique values symbology on a layer, and neither field has null values.  I also tried removing and adding the layer back (per Jason Harshman's suggestion above), but that didn't remove the "Requested operation could not be complete" message.  I've also sent feedback to the Esri team that wrote Scale-based symbol classes—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation , but no response yet.

**Follow-up:  I was able to set different scales per class only after removing/recreating all classes, which was time-consuming.  I did not have to remove/add back the whole layer itself to the Content pane.

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

I'm running into this today with Pro 3.0. It's just a plain old shapefile, symbolized by two fields. I'm able to edit the symbol for the first three that I added some time ago, but unable to change the symbology of a value I added recently. I've tried closing/reopening, copying to a different map, etc. Sometimes it will let me click in and "edit" the symbol, but it does not update on the map and is reverted when I reopen the pane.

rburkebsrc_0-1656600069650.png

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Alright - I think I found a solution for at least my case - that first heading that shows the longer field names? That came from the AGO version of the layer from which I imported symbology. The names are truncated in the .shp, obviously, and even though the symbology was referencing the truncated fields, the label of that heading was still showing up with the full names, and this was causing issues. I was unable to move or remove the "7, 0" class, but I could remove the heading and classes from the 3 dots. I then renamed the header with full names to the truncated names and re-added the value. It joined the first header and I am now able to modify the symbology, move it, remove it, etc.

rburkebsrc_0-1656602359357.png

GIS-Chops
New Contributor III

Thanks @wayfaringrob this fixed my issue. I'm going to post video about it and give you a shoutout. Thanks for being a contributor.

I had deleted the heading on categories I already had in the layer, went to add a new value and couldn't group the new value with an existing value until I put the heading back in the existing symbol classes.

wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

You bet. You may also run across a similar issue I found -- it throws the same error when grouping symbol classes from different headers and then renaming, moving, turning on symbol layer drawing -- doing anything, really. I got this logged as BUG-000152448.  It is marked as fixed in the upcoming 3.1 release, thankfully.

0 Kudos
GregoryLehner
Esri Contributor

Hello everyone,

The error "Requested operation cannot be completed" is a generic error returned by the Symbology pane when it enters an invalid state.

Similar to "Error 999999", there are a variety of reasons this error can be returned by the application. If you see this error, and it is preventing you from proceeding with your symbology, please contact Esri Technical Support so we can troubleshoot the issue. Thank you.

0 Kudos
BryanLynn1
New Contributor III

I was experiencing the same issue - ArcGIS Pro 3.0.1. However, after much fussing and cussing, I cleared my graphics cache and the problem cleared up. Not sure this is the answer but I thought it might help someone else.

BryanLynn1_0-1662559580861.png