Area solar radiation raster data not align inside the mask

Jump to solution
04-12-2023 06:53 AM
KuenzangNamgay
New Contributor

Dear all

I have been trying to run area radiation tool on 10m resolution DEM data and for  mask environment I have building footprint layer file. The two data are projected in same projection coordination system but the result obtained or the radiation raster tends to be not align inside the polygon region where it extend outside the region. If anyone can help me I would very grateful. I have image file of output attached.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RyanDeBruyn
Esri Contributor

HI there,  the result you show should be similar to converting the footprints to a raster (10m resolution) and using that as input mask.  The feature mask that you specify is rasterized internally to the input raster resolution or environment cellSize if specified.

In your case the buildings are only a few cells (in size) with cell centers falling inside your polygon areas.

It would be good to also set snap raster environment to the input raster along with the mask to be sure of allignment with the input. 

Hope this helps, 

-Ryan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RyanDeBruyn
Esri Contributor

HI there,  the result you show should be similar to converting the footprints to a raster (10m resolution) and using that as input mask.  The feature mask that you specify is rasterized internally to the input raster resolution or environment cellSize if specified.

In your case the buildings are only a few cells (in size) with cell centers falling inside your polygon areas.

It would be good to also set snap raster environment to the input raster along with the mask to be sure of allignment with the input. 

Hope this helps, 

-Ryan

0 Kudos
RyanDeBruyn
Esri Contributor

Depending on what you are trying to answer.  One other option would be to run the Area Solar Radiation tool without a mask and run Zonal Statistics or Zonal Statistics as Table tool with your footprint as input zones to calculate the total/mean....etc for each building.

The same would be true though in the rasterization of the input zones.

0 Kudos
KuenzangNamgay
New Contributor
Thank you
0 Kudos