Add Rule Tool Fail to Run

Jump to solution
03-10-2023 02:45 PM
Brian_Colson
New Contributor III

@RobertKrisher or @MikeMillerGIS or anyone else in the Community,

We have a Water irrigation Utility Network, which we are attempting to clean up some missing rules which we need to fix some of our network topology errors. Using the Schema owner, connected to the SQL Server, I am attempting to run the Add Rule tool within ArcGIS Pro, and I can't the tool to run or get past this error.  

This is within the development environment, which we refreshed from production recently, via the SQL back end.  I am connected as the utility network owner (within ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9) running ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5, and network topology disabled.

I made sure all services were stopped, tried it with the edit service running, and nothing gets past it.  I get other errors that are more helpful, which lead me to connecting to the enterprise GDB, via the schema owner, which is why I find it weird that it is saying it has to be the owner of a version.  

I thought I would try here, before I go to support.  

Just wondering if anyone is experiencing the same issue with the add rule tool. 

Thanks!

Brian Colson, GISP
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Brian_Colson
New Contributor III

To be clear, I used the Alter Version tool to remove the protection temporarily. That was the fix.  

Brian Colson, GISP

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Brian_Colson
New Contributor III

Yup, that was the issue.  Would be nice if that Add Rules tool gave me an error that told me it couldn't process because the default version was protected.  

Back in business.  Thank you both @PaulLeBlanc1 and @RobertKrisher .

Brian Colson, GISP
0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

If that is the case, try assigning the version management role to yourself and you should be able to get past this issue. See this blog or the online help if you want more info about this role.

Brian_Colson
New Contributor III

To be clear, I used the Alter Version tool to remove the protection temporarily. That was the fix.  

Brian Colson, GISP
0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks, I'll mark this as the solution you took. You should check out the Version Management role in a lower environment if you haven't already, it will allow you (as an admin) or any other super users to make changes to default while it is protected. This saves you the trouble of having to remember to run alter version to switch the version between protected / public when making schema changes. I would say it also means that you can post changes using your normal account, but you appear to already have a process in place for handling posting to your protected default.

Brian_Colson
New Contributor III

Yes, we are using the version management role already.  Weird that even with my Version Manager, being my UN owner, I still couldn't add the rule, which was driving me crazy on a Friday afternoon.  Thanks for the prompt reply! 

Brian Colson, GISP
0 Kudos
MichaelHirschheimer
Esri Contributor

There is an Esri tech support article that identifies which Utility Network GP tools need SDE.DEFAULT to be Public to execute.

Article title: Unable to run schema-modifying geoprocessing tools on a utility network when sde.DEFAULT is protected

Brian_Colson
New Contributor III

Good to know @MichaelHirschheimer .  I will follow that bug now.  Thanks!

Brian Colson, GISP
0 Kudos