For isolation to run is one subnetwork enough?

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
Angiex__1
New Contributor III

I have a water utility network, and i wanted to run the isolation trace, is one subnetwork with one subnetwork controller enough? or do they have to have pressure zones in order to run the isolation trace so that it picks up the isolation valves perfectly.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

I would set your filter barriers to be like this:

MikeMillerGIS_0-1713955015484.png

and here are the results:

MikeMillerGIS_1-1713955053009.png

View solution in original post

11 Replies
MikeMillerGIS

1 tier, 1 subnetwork is enough.  Although with a large systems with a lot of controller, if will be faster to run the isolation trace on the pressure tier that is broken down into multiple subnetworks.

0 Kudos
Angiex__1
New Contributor III

can i have system tier  with one subnetwork controller and run the isolation trace for a city like half of new york?

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

Yes, but that could cause some performance issues.  Only one way to find out.

0 Kudos
Angiex__1
New Contributor III

So i have isolated a a smaller section for pressure zone and tried to run the isolation trace and i have received a result like this, when i wanted the nearby valves to be closed.

Angiex__1_0-1713780988831.png

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
No need to use isolation valves unless you are using the isolation tier. Just use system valves. These have the isolation category. When doing your isolation trace, set the filter barrier to the isolation category.

0 Kudos
Angiex__1
New Contributor III

But all my valves are isolation valves tho, so would that be a problem when i tried to run the isolation trace using isolation valves in the system tier (i mean my whole network is in system tier while only a small portion i have used for isolation tier)

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

That is fine then, just make sure all those valve types are set to the isolation category and use that category as the filter barrier in the isolation trace.

0 Kudos
Angiex__1
New Contributor III

You mean device status open/close during the filter barrier?

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

No. Open/closed is a condition barrier because it affects the normal traversability between the isolated location and its controller. The filter barrier is used to specify the criteria for identifying normally traversable features that should be used for isolation purposes. This is typically things like operable equipment designed for isolation (e.g. system or isolation valves), or in a pinch ... pinchable pipes.

0 Kudos