Arcmap Crashes All of the Sudden Instantly on All Computer on Network

Jump to solution
01-18-2024 05:17 PM
JoelLogan
New Contributor II

Hello All,

So my organization has fully moved over to ArcGIS Pro. We still have Arcmap on three computers; my laptop, a desktop, and a virtual computer. We have over 18 years worth of projects on it and use some still as we are moving projects over to PRO. We literally were using Arcmap this morning fine and came back in the afternoon after a meeting and found it would instantly crash on all three computers the minute you clicked on it. 

• Licenses are all single use
  • All three computers have an Nvidia card

I scoured everything on the forums I could find about ArcMap crashing. I have been through 2 tiers of support and have an active case open. Tried all suggestions.

If I disable my Nvidia card it will open(which video card issues is one of the common problems). However, I lose all my monitors if I disable my Nvidia card. After talking with some of my IT staff I think maybe a Microsoft patch has came out that might have killed Arcmap using Nvidia cards. IS ANYBODY else having an issue??? This started for us at today 1/18/2024 in the afternoon?

Killing our Nvidia cards is not an option. I reinstalled Arcmap and updated Nvidia driver to no avail. The only way arcmap runs is to disable Nvidia card under device manager. Curious if anybody else is having this same problem which came out of nowhere?

Thanks,

Joel Logan, GISP
Jackson County Georgia

Tags (1)
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Cavaletta
New Contributor

Hi Joel,

Yes we are having this issue across a range of users and models of Intel and NIVIDA based laptops.  Please see this post over at the NVIDIA forums which is also discussing it.  
ESRI ArcMap Crashing | NVOGLV32.DLL - General Topics and Other SDKs / Drivers - Linux, Windows, MacO...

Would be keen to try and get more people talking about this.  Even though we should be in a change freeze, we have seen some updates applied from Windows updates service with regards to both Windows OS and driver level.  I'd start there and potentially also check 3rd party software such as Adobe for any changes in the last day or two?

View solution in original post

WilliamFowlerGMD
New Contributor

Our org had this same issue yesterday, thanks to the NVIDIA developer forum thread we were able to focus on it being a driver issue. So far, we've been able to get things working using the Release 470, Update 15 (474.64) driver from 10/31/23 and during the install portion, choosing a Custom Install with the Clean Installation option checked. These had anything between a Quadro P400 and RTX A2000 so the driver is applicable to many cards.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

We have been in communication with NVIDIA about this issue. At this time, we believe NVIDIA driver R550 U1/551.23 resolves the issue. Customers should attempt this as a possible fix.

7 Replies
Cavaletta
New Contributor

Hi Joel,

Yes we are having this issue across a range of users and models of Intel and NIVIDA based laptops.  Please see this post over at the NVIDIA forums which is also discussing it.  
ESRI ArcMap Crashing | NVOGLV32.DLL - General Topics and Other SDKs / Drivers - Linux, Windows, MacO...

Would be keen to try and get more people talking about this.  Even though we should be in a change freeze, we have seen some updates applied from Windows updates service with regards to both Windows OS and driver level.  I'd start there and potentially also check 3rd party software such as Adobe for any changes in the last day or two?

JoelLogan
New Contributor II

Our IT staff followed everything on the linked thread above and we got everything working again for now. They rolled back Nvidia drivers basically as far back as possible and got it to work. the NVOGLV32.dll is the culprit.

BrianSandrock
New Contributor

Joel,

We are having the same issue in my office and have been trying figure out the issue. For us it happened around 2pm eastern and Arcmap 10.5.1 will no longer launch. Arc Catalog will launch, but would crash if we tried to preview any data. Our 10.8.1 server and the computer with 10.8.1 seems to still work, but I'm unsure of the hardware on that machine. Will do some further checks in the morning as it is getting a bit late here.

Brian

sjones_esriau
Esri Contributor

Similar story here
Dell precision 5560 with quadro T1200 card

Rolling back the nvidia driver to a version that used to work doesnt help, so its looking like some interaction between the OS (win 11 enterprise 23H2 in my case) and the driver.

Forcing ArcMap to use the intel GPU instead of the quadro works fine.

WilliamFowlerGMD
New Contributor

Our org had this same issue yesterday, thanks to the NVIDIA developer forum thread we were able to focus on it being a driver issue. So far, we've been able to get things working using the Release 470, Update 15 (474.64) driver from 10/31/23 and during the install portion, choosing a Custom Install with the Clean Installation option checked. These had anything between a Quadro P400 and RTX A2000 so the driver is applicable to many cards.

Joshua_Heilner_041010
New Contributor

Kudos for the post! We had the same issue yesterday here at the City of Phoenix and you saved us a lot of time uninstalling and reinstalling drivers! This temporary fix should work until there is a solution for the latest NVIDIA driver conflict. 

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

We have been in communication with NVIDIA about this issue. At this time, we believe NVIDIA driver R550 U1/551.23 resolves the issue. Customers should attempt this as a possible fix.