Basic CRUD operations?

Jump to solution
07-31-2014 08:12 AM
KeithWeber1
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am trying to find out if I can accomplish basic CRUD operations on an Enterprise geodatabase using ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Java or if I need to use ArcObjects.

I am looking at developing a service that will run on my server that is going to monitor a few folders. As various files are added to these folders, my service needs to parse these files and insert/update/delete records in an enterprise geodatabase. Can I implement this using the runtime sdk? Thanks in advance for any feedback!

-Keith

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EricBader
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Keith:

Excellent question, thank you for asking!

The Runtime SDKs are used for building client apps that do not run behind web or application servers. As a matter of fact, (sadly, hopefully someday this will change) using the Runtime APIs in a Server (multi-user) environment is a violation of the Runtime license agreement.

It sounds like the recommendation for your use case would be to build and deploy a Server Object Extension (SOE) built with ArcObjects and deployed to ArcGIS for Server.

I hope this is helpful!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
EricBader

Hi Keith:

Excellent question, thank you for asking!

The Runtime SDKs are used for building client apps that do not run behind web or application servers. As a matter of fact, (sadly, hopefully someday this will change) using the Runtime APIs in a Server (multi-user) environment is a violation of the Runtime license agreement.

It sounds like the recommendation for your use case would be to build and deploy a Server Object Extension (SOE) built with ArcObjects and deployed to ArcGIS for Server.

I hope this is helpful!

KeithWeber1
New Contributor III

Eric,

Thanks for the quick feedback! This is just the type of advice I was looking for. Thanks!

0 Kudos
CristianCerb
New Contributor

Hi Eric,

Is there such a SOE sample anywhere? I mean, based on a feature service...

Thank you.

0 Kudos
EricBader

Hi Cristian,

Here is a simple example of building an SOE that works with Feature Services....

ArcObjects Help for Java developers

There are a few others here as well. I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
CristianCerb
New Contributor

Thank you very much, Eric. Unfortunately I get a page doesn’t exist when going to that link:

0 Kudos
CristianCerb
New Contributor

More precisely, when I click View Source I get to that page I sent just before…

0 Kudos
CristianCerb
New Contributor

Ok, I managed to access source code using the Download source code link. Thanks.

0 Kudos
EricBader

Crazy GeoNet.

Sorry for the hassles.

For any future reference, you could look here, and browse to 'Samples-->Server Object Extensions':

http://http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcobjects-java/concepts/engine

0 Kudos