Multi-Part Subdivisions

Jump to solution
10-09-2014 03:24 PM
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

How do you folks handle multi-part subdivisions in the parcel fabric?  I have several that describe the parts on either side of the road and not the road itself.  When I enter both parts then merge them to get one record for the subdivision I lose the origin connection lines.  Does missing the origin lines affect how things are adjusted when an LSA is done on the fabric?  Should I leave them as separate polygons with the same name?

Thanks,

Jeff Ward

Summit County GIS

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JasonCamerano
Esri Contributor

The best approach to entering a mutli-part parcel with an origin connection is as follows:

1. New Parcel
  2. Start with the Origin Connection to the point of beginning (POB)
  3. From the POB continue to COGO your parcel
  4. When it's time to move to the other portion of the parcel, create a Part Connector line that spans across the road. (This is Category value 7 in the Category field)
  5. Finish COGO'ing your other portion of the subdivision.

If you have already created the multipart and merged the parcel and want to re-add the Origin Connection:

1. Open the Parcel
  2. Create the origin connection line (it will be going the wrong direction for now)
  3. For each segment of the Origin Connection, switch the To and From points; For example if the line was FROM 5 TO 13 change it to the following: FROM 13 to 5.
  4. Lastly, for each segment (individually, this wont work as a batch), select the row and choose REVERSE BEARING from the context menu.

To answer your other questions:

• Yes, missing the origin connection lines can affect the LSA if it is not included in the adjustment.  If you were to select the original historic parcel then you would be fine.
  • You alternative solution can work but you won't get the benefit of having a single parcel for the multipart.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JasonCamerano
Esri Contributor

The best approach to entering a mutli-part parcel with an origin connection is as follows:

1. New Parcel
  2. Start with the Origin Connection to the point of beginning (POB)
  3. From the POB continue to COGO your parcel
  4. When it's time to move to the other portion of the parcel, create a Part Connector line that spans across the road. (This is Category value 7 in the Category field)
  5. Finish COGO'ing your other portion of the subdivision.

If you have already created the multipart and merged the parcel and want to re-add the Origin Connection:

1. Open the Parcel
  2. Create the origin connection line (it will be going the wrong direction for now)
  3. For each segment of the Origin Connection, switch the To and From points; For example if the line was FROM 5 TO 13 change it to the following: FROM 13 to 5.
  4. Lastly, for each segment (individually, this wont work as a batch), select the row and choose REVERSE BEARING from the context menu.

To answer your other questions:

• Yes, missing the origin connection lines can affect the LSA if it is not included in the adjustment.  If you were to select the original historic parcel then you would be fine.
  • You alternative solution can work but you won't get the benefit of having a single parcel for the multipart.
JeffWard

Thanks Jason Camerano, I will follow the process you outlined.

In cases where there isn't a connection line described (separate, distant portions that use a POB and tie point) would I just enter more origin to POB lines for the second or third parts after entering the traverse for the first part? Or should they be connection lines?  I ask this because I'm not sure what process/fields/lines the LSA utilizes to adjust the fabric.  Is there a diagram or something that shows the LSA adjustment process, what fields it uses to make adjustments?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
JasonCamerano
Esri Contributor

For a single parcel there should only be one area where Origin Connection lines exist.  You can have multiple Origin Connection lines that follow a linear path to the POB, but elsewhere in the parcel there should be no other Origin Connection Lines.  All other tie lines should be Connection lines. 

Here are a couple links that might be helpful to better answer your questions:  ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) , ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

0 Kudos
JeffWard

I followed your process and I was able to merge a multi-part subdivision into a single subdivision.  Two of the satellite parts we were able to create with connection lines, but two others didn't have anywhere that we were able to create connection lines to start the part.  So we created them as individual subdivisions and merged them into the original, then recreated the origin to POB lines.  I will mention that to create the origin lines, we had to unjoin the merged subdivision, create the lines reverse the from-to points and reverse the bearings and then join it again. 

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos