Loading shapefile directly into ArcGISPRO_3.2

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
MarijnKriegsman
New Contributor

Hello, my supervisor sent me shapefiles instead of excel sheets to use for a map. I can't seem to add them into the map when I use the add data button. When I try to add the shapefile, It just tells me "Failed to add data". Am i doing something wrong? Or is not possible to add shapefiles directly into ArcGIS?

I use ArcGISPro_3.2. I really appreciate any help:) 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

In the location with the shapefile, can you send a screenshot of all the shapefiles w/extensions?

The shapefile needs 3 different files to make it work correctly.

Here is an example of an exported shape file: Notice there are multiple parts to the file.

• .shp—The main file that stores the feature geometry; required.
  • .shx—The index file that stores the index of the feature geometry; required.
  • .dbf—The dBASE table that stores the attribute information of features; required

p/latest/manage-data/shapefiles/shapefile-file-extensions.htm

George_Thompson_0-1713369801709.png

How was the file sent to you, zipped up or individual files?

--- George T.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
George_Thompson

In the location with the shapefile, can you send a screenshot of all the shapefiles w/extensions?

The shapefile needs 3 different files to make it work correctly.

Here is an example of an exported shape file: Notice there are multiple parts to the file.

• .shp—The main file that stores the feature geometry; required.
  • .shx—The index file that stores the index of the feature geometry; required.
  • .dbf—The dBASE table that stores the attribute information of features; required

p/latest/manage-data/shapefiles/shapefile-file-extensions.htm

George_Thompson_0-1713369801709.png

How was the file sent to you, zipped up or individual files?

--- George T.
MarijnKriegsman
New Contributor

Thank you, this helped! I originally only received the .shp files. They just forgot to send me the other required files!

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Great to hear! This happens from time to time.

--- George T.
0 Kudos